Table of Contents
Capital Gains Tax in Mexico for Non-Residents: featured image

Capital Gains Tax in Mexico for Non-Residents [2024 Regulations]

Mexico is a popular destination for tourists and expatriates alike, thanks to its rich culture, beautiful beaches, and affordable living costs. 

With a growing economy and a thriving real estate market, many non-residents are investing in Mexican property. 

However, before you decide to sell or transfer your property, it’s important to understand the tax implications, especially when it comes to capital gains tax in Mexico for non-residents.

Let’s dive in.

Free Ebook - English

    Subscribe to our newsletter to receive a free ebook on the dangers of investing in Mexican Real Estate.

    What is Capital Gains Tax?

    Capital gains tax is a tax on the profit earned from selling an asset such as property, stocks, or bonds.

    The tax is calculated by subtracting the purchase price from the sale price and then applying a tax rate to the resulting profit.

    In Mexico, the capital gains tax rate varies depending on the type of asset and the taxpayer’s residency status.
    Selling Inherited Property in Mexico

    If you inherit a property in Mexico, you may be subject to capital gains tax when you sell it.

    The tax is calculated based on the fair market value of the property at the time of inheritance, and the sale price.

    However, there are ways to reduce or eliminate the tax burden.

    For example, you can hold onto the property for at least five years before selling it.

    After five years, non-residents are eligible for a tax exemption on the capital gains from the sale of their Mexican property. This exemption is subject to certain conditions, such as ensuring that the property has been your primary residence for at least six months each year.

    U.S. Citizen Selling Property in Mexico

    U.S. citizens who own property in Mexico may be subject to both U.S. and Mexican capital gains taxes when they sell their property.

    However, the U.S. and Mexico have a tax treaty that allows U.S. citizens to claim a foreign tax credit for any Mexican capital gains tax paid on the sale of their property.

    To claim the foreign tax credit, you’ll need to file Form 1116 with your U.S. tax return. This form calculates the amount of foreign tax paid and allows you to claim a credit against your U.S. tax liability.

    However, it’s important to note that the foreign tax credit is limited to the amount of U.S. tax owed on the same income.

    How to Avoid Capital Gains Tax on Foreign Property

    If you’re a non-resident of Mexico and own property in another country, you may be wondering how to avoid capital gains tax when you sell the property.

    The answer depends on the tax laws of the country where the property is located.

    Many countries have tax treaties with each other that provide relief from double taxation, meaning that you won’t have to pay tax on the same income in both countries.

    However, the specifics of each treaty vary, so it’s important to consult with a tax professional to determine your tax liability.

    One strategy to consider is a 1031 exchange. This is a tax-deferred exchange that allows you to sell one property and use the proceeds to purchase another property of equal or greater value, without triggering capital gains tax.

    However, this strategy is only available to U.S. taxpayers who are exchanging U.S. property for other U.S. property.

    Permanent Resident Mexico Taxes

    If you’re a permanent resident of Mexico, you’ll be subject to Mexican taxes on your worldwide income, including any capital gains earned from the sale of Mexican or foreign property.

    However, there are ways to reduce your tax liability.

    One option is to take advantage of deductions and credits available to Mexican taxpayers. For example, you may be eligible for deductions for expenses related to your business or rental property, or for contributions to a retirement plan.

    Additionally, there are tax credits available for donations to charitable organizations and for certain environmental investments.

    Another way to reduce your tax liability is to carefully consider the timing of your property sales.

    If you have multiple properties, you may be able to stagger the sales over several years to spread out the tax burden.

    Alternatively, you may be able to take advantage of the five-year rule mentioned earlier to reduce or eliminate the capital gains tax owed on the sale of your Mexican property.

    How to Avoid Capital Gains Tax in Mexico

    While it’s not possible to completely avoid capital gains tax when selling property in Mexico, there are strategies you can use to minimize the amount owed.

    One option is to hold onto the property for at least five years to become eligible for the tax exemption.

    Another option is to offset capital gains with capital losses from other investments.

    Additionally, if you’re a non-resident of Mexico, you may be able to reduce your tax liability by working with a tax professional who is familiar with the tax laws in both Mexico and your home country.

    They can help you navigate the complex rules and regulations and ensure that you’re taking advantage of all available deductions and credits.

    Final Word

    In conclusion, capital gains tax is an important consideration when selling property in Mexico, especially for non-residents and U.S. citizens.

    However, by understanding the tax laws and regulations and working with a tax professional, you can minimize your tax liability and any risk associated with dealing with real estate in Mexico.

    Whether you’re selling inherited property, foreign property, or your primary residence, it’s important to plan ahead and consider all your options to ensure the best possible outcome.